Coming up this season
- Gilbert and Sullivan's "Pirates of Penzance"
- November 7 & 8 at 7:30 P.M. and November 9 at 3:00 P.M. Brodbeck Music Hall, Hood College
Professional soloists and orchestra
Cast includes Stephen Campbell as Frederick, Marie Loy as Mabel, Katelyn Jackman as Ruth, Peter Tomaszewski as the Pirate King, Allen Flora as the Major General, and Rob Apgar as the Police Sergeant.
- Love and Chocolate
- Feb. 8, 3 p.m., Grace Church
This special pre-Valentine's day concert features some of the MCO's favorite singers, performing love-struck arias and ensembles, followed by decadent chocolate desserts.
Fund-raising event; all tickets are $25 for the concert and the chocolate desserts.
- Highlights from Bizet's Carmen
- April 19, 3 p.m., Grace Church
- Highlights from Mozart’s “Cosi fan Tutte”
- Sunday, April 27, 3 p.m.
Grace United Church of Christ
25 E. 2nd St., Frederick
The stellar cast includes sopranos Amedee Royer and Lisa Dodson, mezzo soprano Katelyn Jackman, tenor Peter Scott Drackley, baritone Peter Tomaszewksi, and bass Jeffrey Martin.
- An Afternoon With Jennifer Waters, Soprano
- Sunday, March 23, 3 p.m.
Grace United Church of Christ
25 E. 2nd St., Frederick
Ms. Waters will perform arias by Mozart, Puccini, Verdi, and others. The Lester-Nathanson-Lester Trio (violin/cello/piano) will perform operatic favorites arranged for piano trio.
Sung in English.
Friday, September 20, 7:30 p.m., and Sunday, September 22, 3 p.m., Brodbeck Music Hall, Hood College.
Marie L. Loy sings the title role, along with company favorites Stephen Campbell, Katelyn Jackman, and Peter Tomaszewski. They are joined by the MCO chorus and professional chamber orchestra, all under the direction of Noel Lester.
Listen to a clip from the Finale
If you do not see the in-page player, click here to download the mp3 clip.
"A Celebration of Verdi."
Vocal soloists, the MCO chorus, and maestro Noel Lester performed highlights from "Nabucco," "Simon Boccanegra," "Il Trovatore," "La Traviata," the Requiem, "Don Carlos," and "Rigoletto."
Featured performers: Lynn Staininger, director of the MCO Chorus, mezzo soprano Katelyn Jackman, soprano Marie Lester Loy, tenor Stephen Campbell, bass baritone Jeffrey Martin and pianist/music director Noel Lester.
- High Tea with Gilbert and Sullivan
"Monday, January 21, 2013, at 3:30 at Brewer's Alley.
The MCO is pleased to announce an English high tea and music from "Pirates of Penzance," "The Mikado" and "H.M.S. Pinafore,served up by the chef at Brewer's Alley and some of the MCO's brightest stars. Seating is limited and this event is sure to sell out, so make your reservations as soon as possible. Tickets are $40 per person. To reserve your place, contact Noel Lester at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The stellar cast includes Peter Tomaszewksi as Figaro and Lisa Dodson as Susanna. Tickets are $20 general admission and $10 for students and seniors over 65. 50% of ticket proceeds support Grace Church's ministries to the hungry and homeless.
Sunday, May 27, 2012, at Grace Church
Special guest star, mezzo soprano Tracie Luck
Opera star and Frederick native Tracie Luck returned to her hometown to perform arias by Gluck, Massenet, Wagner, Mozart, Verdi, Handel, Blitzstein, and Danielpour. She was accompanied at the piano by Maestro Noel Lester. 50% of ticket sales benefitted Grace Church's ministries to the hungry and homeless. To read about Tracie Luck, go to: http://www.carnegiehall.org/honor/artists/artistDetail.aspx?art=tluck
- Mozart's "The Magic Flute," with professional chamber orchestra, performed as a semi-staged performances, in costume, in Brodbeck Music Hall at Hood College.
Click on the poster to see a slideshow of photos from rehearsals.
Friday, Nov. 4, 2011,
Saturday, Nov. 5, 2011, special family show
Sunday, Nov. 6, 2011,
Listen to a clip from the finale of “The Magic Flute”. If you do not see the in-page player, click here to download the mp3 clip.
- In response to the enthusiastic response we received to last seasons' "Opera Goes to the Movies," we took a trip back for more great operatic music featured in films and TV. On Sunday, May 29, 2011, at Grace Church, sopranos Jennifer Holbrook and Marie Lester Loy, mezzo soprano Katelyn Jackman, tenor William Davenport, and baritone Christian Waugh, along with members of the Choral Arts Society of Frederick under the direction of Lynn Staininger, and meastro Noel Lester at the piano, will present operatic favorites from "The Marriage of Figaro," "Madama Butterfly," "Rigoletto," "Elixir of Love," "La Traviata," "Samson and Delilah," and others, as well as parallel selections from "Carmen" and, then, as reconfigured in "Carmen Jones." These selections have been featured in such films as "Fatal Attraction," "Philadelphia," "Trading Spaces," "Pretty Woman," "Mrs. Doubtfire," "Prizzi's Honor," "Honeymoon in Vegas," and many more.
- The MCO hosted its first gala fundraiser on January 15, 2011, at 5 p.m. at Brewer's Alley in downtown Frederick. The evening began with appetizers and a cash bar, followed by a mini-concert by some of the MCO's favorite singers—Katelyn Jackman and Marie Lester Loy, our Hansel and Gretel, Peter Tomaszewski, our baritone par excellence, and Jennifer Edwards and William Davenport, who will star in "Opera Goes Back to the Movies." After the concert, the chefs at Brewers Alley served up a full-course Italian dinner, complete with wine and dessert.
For a review by attendee Kathy Krach, go to "Pasta and Puccini" at Want2Dish.